Risky Business: Stephen H. Weinstein of Renaissance Re Hunts for Opportunities Amid Life’s Perils
“We also see climate as a significant opportunity, as the flip side of an exposure like that is frequently an opportunity to craft solutions that will benefit our direct clients, as well as the communities they serve.”
Stephen H. Weinstein
LRN’s Ben DiPietro speaks with Stephen H. Weinstein, senior vice president, chief compliance officer, group corporate counsel, and corporate secretary of reinsurance company Renaissance Re, about the risks associated with climate change, the importance of accurate data when assessing risks, and how he handles his dual roles of chief legal officer and head of compliance
ABOUT STEPHEN H. WEINSTEIN
Stephen H. Weinstein serves as RenaissanceRe’s chief legal officer, with responsibility for legal, regulatory, government affairs and compliance matters on a global basis. Weinstein has served as RenaissanceRe’s group general counsel and corporate secretary since joining the company in 2002, as chief compliance officer since 2004, and as senior vice president since 2005.
Prior to joining RenaissanceRe, Weinstein specialized in corporate law as an attorney at law firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher. He is a frequent speaker on legal and regulatory matters, serves on the boards of several industry groups and is a member of the American Bar Association, the New York State Bar Association and the District of Columbia Bar Association. He is a graduate of Columbia College and Harvard Law School.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN THIS EPISODE...
- [1:32] What sparked Weinstein’s interest in ethics and compliance and how has his career path led to his current role?
- [6:25] What are some of the challenges associated with gathering data for risk assessments?
- [9:38] How does Weinstein navigate the conflicts between legal and ethics and compliance in his company
- [11:42] What are some lessons Renaissance Re has learned from the Covid-19 pandemic
- [13:42] What steps are Renaissance Re taking as they look to allow employees to return to work?
- [15:20] What are the ethical considerations for offices reopening and employees coming bask to work?
- [16:39] What is Renaissance Re working on to improve its diversity and inclusion efforts?
Don’t miss our next episode! Be sure to subscribe to Principled on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Play or wherever you listen to podcasts.
About the Author
By combining values-based education, rich insights, and expert advisory services into innovative, comprehensive solutions, LRN can help elevate behavior and the bottom line for your company.More Content by LRN Corporatio